- Construction and Rehabilitation of Water Resource Monitoring Stations.
One of the capital projects funded by GoK is Construction and Rehabilitation of Water Resource Monitoring Stations.
WRA is strengthening the hydro meteorological monitoring system. There has been low level of monitoring, evaluation, analysis and collection of water resources data, resulting in poor data management in the past.
Water resources data is essential for effective planning and decision making. Water resources monitoring network is improved as more coverage is necessary over time. There is also need to strengthen the hydro meteorological information management and improve flood and drought disaster management which are urgent and priority actions in the National Water Master Plan. Quality data is essential for basin planning and for forecasting future scenarios including climate change and variability.
WRA Telemetric Installation
During the FY 2016/2017, 10No. Stations were identified for rehabilitation and upgrading to telemetric stations. The installation of these stations has been completed.
What is Telemetry?
- Telemetry is an automated communications process by which measurements and other data are collected at remote or inaccessible points and transmitted to receiving equipment for monitoring.
Map of the 10 telemetric stations installed under Capital Projects
Figure 31: The sensor housing tube securely welded on to the steel post
Figure 28-2: Measuring river cross-section
sensor tube firmly secured on 1st staff gauge
Drilling holes to secure rain gauge and its cable
- Working at some of the RGS sites was difficult and risky because of crocodiles.
- High river water levels at the time of the installations.
- Difficulties in accessing some of the sites due to rains and tough terrains.
- Vandalism/malicious damage of equipment e.g. at RGS 3F09. The damaged cable was repaired.
- Station washed away by flush floods e.g. at Isiolo RGS5D07. The station has been reinstalled and water level sensor replaced.
- Accidental damage of water level sensor by WRA staff on a maintenance mission e.g. at RGS 3BA29. The sensor has since been replaced.
- Poor GSM signal e.g. at RGS 1FG02. Despite trying different GSM providers SIM Cards and swooping the logger from an already transmitting station, the station is yet to transmit data. The station only transmitted data for a short while after initial installation and then stopped. The logger is capturing data which is periodically downloaded.
A crocodile basking in the sun (Athi River at Kibwezi)
Most of the installed telemetric stations are successfully sending logged data to the installed data collection server at WRA HQ.
A screenshot showing data summary of 6 telemetric RGS