- Athi River Restoration Programme.
Project Objective: To clean rivers, restore riparian lands to protect the water from pollution. Improving and enhancing livelihoods for the riparian communities for food security and job creation.
- 10,000,000 citizens to be served.
- 80km length of riparian land conserved and protected.
- 80 km length of Athi River cleaned and aesthetics of the river environment and ecosystems improved.
- Drilling of Exploratory Boreholes
Project Objective: Drilling and equipping of dedicated boreholes in strategic aquifers. Monitoring assessment and mapping of the ground water resources. Development of ground water database for planning and development.
- 500,000 citizens will be provided with water for domestic use.
- 75 % improvement in data and information availability for planning purposes for supporting the counties.
- Implementation of Sub Catchment Management Plans
Project Objective: Conservation of water towers, water catchment areas, wetlands, springs, and riparian areas. Promotion and development of alternative water sources. Promoting sustainable livelihoods and job creation.
Expected Outcomes: The target population is 64,000 households who will be directly impacted on their livelihoods and Increased water availability through storage.
- 3No. Well conserved water towers/ water catchment areas.
- 12No. water storage infrastructure protected from siltation.
- Construction and Rehabilitation of Water Resource Monitoring Station
Project Objective: This project will encompass; Design, Construction, installation, rehabilitation, modernization, and operationalization of telemetric water resources monitoring network.
Expected Outcomes: The target population is 5,000,000 citizens. 60% improvement in database. 40% improvement in ability to plan, manage and mitigate water related disasters and risks.
- Water Abstraction and Pollution Control Surveys
Project Objective: This project aims at identifying and mapping of all water abstraction points and pollution sources and pollution points involving stakeholders and WRUAs.
Expected Outcomes: The target population is 3,000,000 citizens. 80% of abstractors identified and mapped. 70% of pollution sources and pollutants identified and mapped. 6 water allocation plans developed and implemented to reduce water use related conflicts.
- Kikuyu Springs Groundwater Conservation
Projective Objective: This project is meant to protect and secure Kikuyu springs groundwater recharge through; Delineation, survey and mapping of Ondiri and Manguo swamp areas, Development and implementation of management plans guidelines, Water Allocation Plan and Gazettement of the Spring catchment as a water catchment area.
Expected Outcomes: The target population is 3,000,000 residents of Nairobi City with sustainable water supply, 15% Reduction in water treatment costs to the water companies, 10% improvement in the yields from the kikuyu springs.
WRA is undertaking 6 Capital projects towards achieving Vision 2030 and Sustainable Development Goals.
According to Vision 2030 pillar on water and sanitation, Kenya aims to build a just and cohesive society with social equity in a clean and secure environment through water and sanitation; to ensure improved water and sanitation are available and accessible to all.
SDGs 13, 14 and 15 deal warrant the Authority to:
Take urgent action to combat climate change and its impacts;
Conserve and sustainably use oceans, seas and marine resources for sustainable development;
Protect, restore, sustainable use of ecosystems, sustainably manage forests, combat desertification, halt and reverse land degradation, combat desertification
Drilling Exploratory boreholes (Marsabit)